Veggie Chow Mein
1 sm carrot, sliced
1 c broccoli florets
1 sm onion, sliced
½ red pepper, sliced
1 c sliced snow peas
1 baby bok choy, sliced
1 t fresh ginger root, finely chopped
12 oz of fresh chow mein noodles
¼ t dried crushed chilies
2 c water
1 T high heat oil*
1 T toasted sesame oil
6 T Dulcet Toasted Sesame & Ginger Asian Sauce
1. Place 2 c water in a wok over high heat, bring to a boil.
2. Add the carrots and steam for 1 minute.
3. Add the broccoli and steam an additional minute.
4. Remove veggies from wok, set aside and discard the water.
5. Lower the heat to medium high and add the T of high heat oil.
6. Add the onion and ginger and stir fry for 1 minute.
7. Add the red pepper and cook one minute
8. Add the snow peas and bok choy and cook an additional minute.
9. Add the carrots and broccoli back into the wok and cook 1 more minute.
10. Remove the veggies from the pan and set aside.
11. Reduce the heat to medium and add the T of sesame oil and the dried crushed chilies to the wok.
12. Add the chow mein noodles and cook for 1 minute, using a spatula to break them apart if sticking together.
13. Add 4 T Dulcet Toasted Sesame & Ginger Asian Sauce and continue to cook for 3 more minutes, flipping the noodles occasionally to prevent sticking, but allowing them to be in contact with the heat long enough that they get a little crispy.
14. Add the veggies back into the wok plus 2 more T of the Asian Sauce and cook 1 additional minute.
Helpful hint: Suggestions for high heat oils are safflower oil, peanut or sun flower oil.
Kitchen Notes: This recipe is great for leftovers and can include pork, beef, shrimp and any veggies you might have on hand.