Sunday salmon cakes
2 T olive oil
1 c chopped onions
½ t crushed red chilies, more if you like them spicy
2 T capers
2 T chopped roasted red pepper or sundried tomatoes (optional)
2 c cooked salmon, broken into bite sized pieces
1-2 T bread crumbs (optional)
4 T Dulcet Lemon Mustard & Dill Sauce
1 egg, lightly beaten
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 T olive oil for frying the cakes
1. Heat a large skillet to medium high.
2. Add the 2 T olive oil, onion and crushed red chilies to the skillet.
3. Saute until golden brown.
4. Add the sundried tomatoes or roasted peppers to warm, if using.
5. Remove the ingredients from the skillet into a large bowl.
6. Combine the remaining ingredients, tossing lightly with a fork.
7. Add the additional 3 T oil to the skillet and heat.
8. Use an ice cream scoop or spoon to form cakes.
9. The mixture will be very moist, so plop the salmon mixture into to the skillet and flatten it slightly to form a cake.
10. Don’t crowd the cakes in the skillet so that you can easily turn them since they fall apart easily.
11. Cook the cakes until golden brown on both sides.
12. Use additional Dulcet Lemon Mustard & Dill Sauce for dipping.
Yield: 6 cakes
From our test kitchen: Try substituting the salmon with crab. This dish is also great with eggs your favorite way for breakfast or brunch.